Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Goal Setting Exercise

Use a blank piece of paper, list out your goals in each area. Start every one with positive, “I WILL . . .” statements. 
Be as specific as you can and list out a time frame for the completion of it.

Here are some thought starters in each goal unit:
(X= Insert what you want there.)

1. Personal Growth (Knowledge):
  • I will take a course at a college/university/community college . . .
  • I will take a typing or computer class . . .
  • I will read books about (a particular area of interest) . . .
  • I will find a mentor . . .
  • I will find a study partner . . .
  • I will obtain a certain accreditation for my work . . .
  • I will learn a foreign language . . .

2. Health (Fitness):
  • I will change my eating habits and/or start a weight loss plan . . .
  • I will join a gym and go 3 times per week for ½ an hour each day . . .
  • I will take a spin class at the gym . . .
  • I will roller-blade, ski, golf . . .
  • I will watch less TV and do a physical activity outside . . .
  • I will gat off the computer and go for a walk . . .
3. Income (Financial Stability):
  • I will make $X this year . . .
  • I will save $X this year . . .
  • I will set aside $X this year for investments . . .
  • I will put aside $X this year for my child/s future/schooling . . .
  • I will pay off X bills . . .
  • I will find a better paying job that will pay $X . . .

4. Career (Work Environment):
  • I will accomplish X this year . . .
  • I will learn more about X this year . . .
  • I will handle my stress and not show it at work . . .
  • I will be a fair boss . . .
  • I will say only positive things at work . . .
  • I will stay out of gossip rings/stay away from negative people . . .
  • I will show up early . . .
  • I will bite my tongue when I want to make a sharp reply . . .
  • I will find a new job I will be happy with . . .
  • I will start a new business . . .
  • I will get a second job . . .
5. Social Life (Friends, Fun or Recreation):
  • I will take a vacation to X . . .
  • I will take up X as a hobby . . .
  • I will join X social group . . .
  • I will find an old friend from the past and re-connect . . .
  • I will overcome my fear of X (fear of water and take swimming lessons) . . .
  • I will throw a party . . .
6. Relationships (Significant Other or Romance):
  • I will find a girlfriend/boyfriend . . .
  • I will get engaged . . .
  • I will get married . . .
  • I will get divorced . . .
  • I will have a better relationship with my (significant other) . . .
  • I will appreciate my (significant other) and surprise them randomly with (gift, card, post-it note, single rose, flowers or chocolate) . . .
  • I will show I appreciate my children more and praise them more often . . .
7. Belief (Higher Power or Self):
  • I will take a course in meditation . . .
  • I will attend/join church or civic organization . . .
  • I will get close to God or Higher Power . . .
  • I will study X religion . . .
  • I will practice my beliefs . . .
  • I will open up my thinking to others beliefs . . .
  • I will think and be positive . . .
  • I will expand my comfort zone in X area (Public speaking) . . .
  • I will increase my confidence in X . . .
8. Family (Relatives or Associative Family):
  • I will make a new close friend . . .
  • I will talk to my parents more . . .
  • I will see my parents more . . .
  • I will re-connect with a long lost relative . . .
  • I will spend more time with my children . . .
  • I will spend more time with (significant other) . . .
  • I will spend more time with my friends . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment