Monday, July 9, 2012

In love with the English language!

I just wanted to add something regarding making mistakes when speaking a language that. I’ll be discussing English but I believe the same applies on speaking a foreign language in general.

Namely, it’s about two types of mistakes that one can make.

The one type of mistake is real mistakes. There are the real mistakes that will cut into every native speaker’s ears and I fully agree you have to eliminate them from your speech.

·         The ones that would fall under this category are getting conjugations completely wrong (‘she go home’ instead of ‘she goes home’).

In short, these are the mistakes that, as the majority of individuals here agree on, aren’t acceptable and you’re so much more better off getting these things right at the very beginning of learning the language.

By the way, I’ve heard quite English speakers speaking fluently but when they start reading in a fast manner plus with many of the above mentioned.

The second kind of mistakes are the ones that would be considered mistakes if we go by the formal grammar and syntax rules but would be accepted in less formal situations and day-to-day communication.

·         Omitting words for the sake of simplicity – ‘Sleep well?’ instead of ‘Did you sleep well?’ or ‘How you doing?’ instead of ‘How are you doing?’
·         Swapping more complex grammar tenses for simpler ones – ‘If I didn’t do it would you be allowed to come?’ instead of ‘Had I not done it would you have been allowed to come?’
·         Swapping passive tense with perfect tense – ‘I’m finished with taping up the packages’ instead of ‘I’ve finished taping up the packages’… All those sentences are grammatically incorrect but totally accepted in normal daily conversations.

But my point is that quite often this informal speech is left out when foreigners learn to speak a language. They know how to write properly but if they try to get the language as perfect as in writing they can miss out on a real spoken fluency.

According to author ii can write articles interestingly than speaking well. I live English very much and I have achieved so many goals in creative writing in my life until now. But now I am practicing speaking English and trying to be fluent quickly without any mistake. I speak with people but I have mistakes. Some correct them. I am not shy to speak with English.

Would love to hear what others think about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment